lørdag 27. april 2019

The loser takes it all! *

ABBA put music to the statement

“The winner takes it all!”

Sometimes it feels like that, and from a secular perspective, it seems to be an established truth. There is also empiric evidence confirming that a person born into a dysfunctional family without the capacity to give sufficient care, is more likely to remain deprived of a good life than a person born into a caring and well-functional family. It is important to remember that functionality and care are not dependent upon wealth, but poverty can prevent a parent from giving sufficient physical care for a child.

I will be the first to admit that this world is unjust. Living in the poorest country in Europe, I see this as a reality every day, and I wish I could do more about it. How then do I even dare to proclaim that “The loser takes it all!”?

Because it is a spiritual principle. Jesus proclaimed that I find my life by losing it (1). I believe that God has created me to have fellowship with him, but he has also entrusted me control over my own life. The way to find my life in him, is by losing control over my life and surrender it to him. At the cross Jesus said: “Father into your hands I commend my spirit!” (2) – he lost his life, conquered death and gained life not only for himself, but for all who believes.

That ‘the loser’ takes it all, is also confirmed in this verse:

“Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.”
Colossians 3:11
However, even in nations calling themselves Christians, even some churches and some individual Christians struggle with greed. Greed is considered to be one of the seven deadly sins, and I believe it is the cause of most of the problems we face in the world today, including such evils as wars, poverty and climatic crisis. I am convinced that if we as individuals, communities and nations were willing to ‘lose’ by being willing give instead of craving and hoarding, everyone would find a better life. 


So, yes, I believe that ‘the loser takes it all!’

‘Manna’ for today:

We win by losing!
----------------------------------------- 
* See: The weakest team - A call to costly compassion
(1) Matthew 16:25
(2) Luke 23:46

Ingen kommentarer: