lørdag 19. januar 2019

Prayer is more than 'just' asking

Last week I shared some thoughts about prayer and I included the message from General Brian Peddle with a call to prayer (1). If you read last week’s entry, you are likely to remember that I asked you to reflect on this verse during the week:



Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
Luke 11:9-10
Bible-readers will be familiar with these verses, but many think that they are three expressions of the same matter - a so-called 'pleonasm'. I think this presumption is a fallacy. Already in the first teaching about prayer, Jesus gave a clear message that prayer is much more than plain asking. Unfortunately, our prayers are very often limited to asking God for something. However, prayer is also about

Seeking

I really dislike seeking for things I cannot find, but I love to discover new things. Therefore, it becomes much more interesting to think that: Prayer is to be on a journey of discovery, and on this journey, I will all the time find discover new things that are important for my development. I learn more about God and more about myself. Moreover, prayer is about

Knocking

Jesus was very concerned about perseverance - also in prayer. The parable of the persistent widow is a typical example (2). I have often used the illustration of a game I sometimes played together with other kids when I was a boy – the name of the game was a rhyme in Norwegian, and I suppose the translation "knocking and mocking" will work in English. We simply knocked on a random door, ran, hid and imitated the look on the person's face when he understood that he had been tricked. Not very nice, but fun for kids…

Prayer is knocking on the God’s door and remaining by the door until it opens. In many ways, knocking takes place on both sides of the door (3). It is also part of praying that the Lord will enter the door of my heart. Fortunately, he too is persistent!

‘Manna’ for today:
I will keep knocking!
-----------------------------------------
(1) 'I believe we need to be ready for what God wants to do with us and through us. This is a call to prayer, a call to holiness and a call to be "battle-ready" now. There is an urgency to this call that cannot be ignored. Men, women and children need Jesus.'
(2) Luke 18:1-8
(3) Revelation 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
NB - this reflection is linked to General Brian Peddle's "Call to Mission - NOW"

Ingen kommentarer: