lørdag 12. januar 2019

Do you know what prayer is?

It may be that some will think: 
‘Doesn’t everyone know what prayer is’?

If you ask me if I know what prayer is, my answer is: ‘Yes, I know a little bit’. The reason why I only know a 'little bit' is because the subject of prayer is boundless. I have so much to learn about prayer and contemplation through living close to Jesus, and I also learn from other believers from the whole spectre of denominations.

For me the journey of prayer has been long and a journey of exploration and it is not finished yet. When Jesus walked together with his disciples towards Jerusalem, the disciples faced a situation they could not handle. So when they asked “Why couldn’t we?” – Jesus replied:

“…this kind does not go out except by prayer…”
Matthew 17:21
Jesus gave this as part of the reason why the disciples ‘could not drive out’ a demon. Earlier in their ministry the disciples had been with Jesus while he was praying. Afterwards one of the disciples said: “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” (1)

Jesus answered by teaching them the Lord's Prayer. I shared three reflections from this prayer in the Advent-season, and will return to elements from this prayer later. However, after teaching the disciples the prayer, Jesus continued:

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
Luke 11:9-10
Please keep these verses in mind this week. I will return to them next week.

‘Manna’ for today:

I have always more to learn about prayer
-----------------------
(1) Luke 11:1
NB - this reflection is linked to General Brian Peddle's "Call to Mission - NOW"

Ingen kommentarer: