lørdag 24. november 2018

Why am I here?

A philosopher will say that this is a typical existential question, and I agree. However, I will not focus on the existential side of the question today. In light of the theme: “Momentum” (1), the question simply relates to the fact that I am serving God in Eastern Europe Territory today, and have done so for some years.

Last weekend we were together with people who are considering the calling to become an officer in The Salvation Army, and we reflected on many subjects linked to the calling. In the final meeting on Sunday morning, I preached on the most important pre-condition of all: 

Availability. 
When I prepared for the sermon I realized that I could have chosen a huge number of Biblical texts that support the importance of availability. I ended up with using the brief narrative about the calling of Levi:
After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. “Follow me,” Jesus said to him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.
Luke 5:27-28
I don’t think that Jesus primarily was looking for a tax collector or any other particular skills when he was creating his team of disciples. He was looking for people who were available. People ready to move with the calling. In the ‘Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard’ (2), the landowner did not ask for qualifications when he went to hire workers in his vineyard. He hired those who were available at ‘any hour of the day’. I believe God is constantly looking for available people. The Bible tells us that he does not always succeed. “I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.” (3) When Jesus called Levi, he was available and he showed his availability through immediately responding to the calling by getting up, leaving everything behind and following Jesus.

That I am available is the main reason why I am here and I thank God for the opportunity. In the everyday life of my ministry in this exciting part of the world, I want to be available for the prompting of the Spirit at ‘any hour of the day’. I wish for the same for all my brothers and sisters sharing the same ministry!

‘Manna’ for today:

Here I am Lord – available!
----------------------------------------
(1) Momentum – the movement caused by the impulse from The holy spirit is the theme for 2018 in Eastern Europe Territory.
(2) Matthew 20:1-16
(3) Ezekiel 22:30

Ingen kommentarer: