lørdag 10. november 2018

‘One’ God!

At the time of Jesus, confessing ‘one’ God was part of the upbringing for all Jews. There may be several reasons for Paul bringing this aspect into his teaching about unity in the Spirit (1), and I think the most important is that the consequence of this confession is that: There is only ‘one’ God that should be worshiped! Jesus reminded Satan about this when he was tempted by him in the wilderness (2)

It is a great threat to unity when ‘worship’ goes astray and focuses on other sources. Even the worship activity can easily be a goal in itself and replace God. When Paul wrote to the church in Corinth and addressed how the church was divided, one of the issues was that they focused on the ’instruments’ the Lord had used to lead them to faith, rather than ‘worshiping’ the one and only God (3). If they had been united in the worship of 'one' God, they would have known that Apollos, Cephas and Paul were nothing but God’s instruments.

My great desire is to serve the Lord and be His instrument. From time to time I need confirmation that he uses me as his tool; however, it stops there, I do not want to stand in his way – actually it is one of the few things I really fear. Through the years, I have witnessed how some of his instruments have received more attention than the Lord.

Maybe it should be an eye-opener for us that stars within popular music are called ‘idols’ and are more or less worshiped by their ‘fans’? The ‘stars’ even take part in competitions to become the greatest ‘idol’ of the year. I cannot deny that I admire some of them including many of the great worship-leaders, because they are very good and sincere musicians. However, for me there is only one God worthy of my worship.

‘Manna’ for today: 

I will worship the Lord my God
And I will serve him only.
---------------------------------------
(1) ….keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God – Ephesians 4:3-6
(2) For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ – Matthew 4:10
(3) 1 Cor 1:12-13

Ingen kommentarer: