onsdag 8. februar 2017

Reflect on what I am saying

NORSK
Is this instruction an expression of arrogance, or does this clear message Paul gave Timothy contain more information than the first obvious interpretation?
Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
2 Timothy 2:7
I admit that I am fascinated by Paul. He is a complex individual, and sometimes he makes statements that may seem a little arrogant. However, arrogance does not match the overall picture I have of him. He admitted openly that “now I know in part” (1), and on one occasion, he also indicated that he shared his personal judgement, and continued with “and I think that I too have the Spirit of God” (2). This last statement may indicate that it is a response to one or more who were of a different opinion and who used the argument “and we have the Spirit of God!”.

It is interesting that we can have strong disagreements, yet have the same Spirit. Paul had been in such situations on several occasions (3). Perhaps there had been a disagreement between him and Timothy too?

But he did not ask more from Timothy than just to reflect on what he wrote. He left it to the Lord to give Timothy the insights he needed, and I think Paul was humble enough to acknowledge that these insights could be different from the ones he had received himself.

‘Manna’ for today:

I will reflect on the word, and the Lord will give the insight I need!
------------------------------------------------
(1) 1 Cor 13:12
(2) 1 Cor 7:39-40
(3) See e.g. Acts 15:37-41 and Galatians 2:11-14

Ingen kommentarer: