søndag 26. februar 2017

New costume

NORSK
“What do you want for …?”
 
This simple question is likely to come before a Christmas or a birthday and it is one of the hardest questions I get. For more than 20 years I think my answer has been the same: “I have no idea, I have everything I need.” For just as many years, I wished I had a national costume.

This does not mean that I have lied, because in principle I do not need a national costume, but I was moved to tears when six months ago I was surprised to receive the first contribution towards a new costume as a gift to the 60 anniversary from my family. In the middle of May, we will be at the confirmation-celebration of our oldest grandchild, and I'll wear my national costume for the first time. “I am ‘equipped’ for the celebration, and I look forward to it.”

A lot is lost in translation in today’s blog, because the word for costume in Norwegian, means “to equip for”. In Icelandic the word is used in combination with “Army” – and means uniform = equipped for fight. In combination with people it means = equipped for people, which relates to an event and a celebration, and of course the national costume is worn.

The leap from “prepared for fight and/or people” to Paul’s mentoring of Timothy is short. The key elements in the preparation for the pilgrimage of faith I find in the verses I have reflected on over the past days:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17
In the very end of the letter to the church at Ephesus Paul encouraged the believers to put on the full armour of God (2). It was in this church Timothy served when he received the letters of Paul. The mentoring he received, equipped Timothy for every good work. He had a new “costume”, a costume that equipped him to share the beautiful treasure and to defeat evil.

‘Manna' for today:

In God's kingdom the ‘costume’ is always new!
-------------------------------
(1) The picture from my first fitting at the tailors. FYI this costume originates in the region of West Telemark.
(2) Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. Ephesians 6:10-11

Ingen kommentarer: