lørdag 18. februar 2017

Knowing what is worth knowing

NORSK
"Knowledge is an easy burden to carry", my teacher used to tell me. However, sometimes I get a little frustrated by myself because of all the useless knowledge that seem to pop up now and then. Even worse is the tendency I have to share it. 

A couple of weeks back I watched “News in a new way” on Norwegian TV. The philosopher Henrik Syse was one of the guests. One of the topics was the phrase "everything will be OK in the end" and if this was an accepted theory. Syse was quick to respond with some ‘useless knowledge’ which is also part of my portfolio: "Yes, Origen presented that theory, and it is called apocatastasis!"

Because I love words, it was love at first sight when I saw the beautiful word apocatastasis for the first time. And ever since, I've shared the word and meaning of apocatastasis on several occasions, and it's really quite unnecessary.

Yesterday Paul began his exhortation in this way:

But know this...
2 Timothy 3:1
It is an important task for a mentor to communicate that which is "worth knowing". In the story about the man who was born blind and was healed by Jesus, the scribes wanted the young man to make a positional statement on Jesus’ sinfulness. The young man replied:
“Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”
Joh 9:25
This answer made the Jews throw the young man out of the synagogue. On the outside he met Jesus again, and Jesus said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?” “Who is he, sir?” the man asked. “Tell me so that I may believe in him.” Jesus said, “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you.” Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.

What he knew, led to knowledge of the essence.
 

Today 'manna':
The essence is worth knowing.
--------------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: