søndag 19. februar 2017

Face and heart

NORSK
The verse I focus on today is from the section on self-centeredness which Paul encouraged Timothy to be aware off, and he had more to say about people of the last days: They are
Having an appearance indeed of godliness, but denying the power thereof
2 Tim 3:5a  
When we watch the world today it is easy to think these words with political leaders who are trying to play their cards to please the largest religious groups in their countries. Yet it is important to bear in mind that it is God who is the judge of human hearts. My task is to pray for governments and leaders, even for those with whom I disagree. We have a God who is far greater than any power in this world, and I believe in his influence. 

However, I want to take this down to my level. I have an appearance that signals godliness both through wearing the uniform of the Salvation Army and e.g. on Facebook with my reflection on Christian living and godliness. With regard to my personal relationship with God, appearance counts for nothing if the power of godliness is not working in my heart. 


In his proverbs, Solomon (another mentor) told his son to keep the good words he had learned in his heart, and then he wrote:
Above everything else guard your heart,
because from it flow the springs of life.

Proverbs 4:23 
It is completely in line with the core in Paul’s mentoring of Timothy.

With regard to finding a cure for self-centredness, this is the right medication: It is more important to save heart than face.

‘Manna’ for today

Focus on the heart, because from it flows the springs of life

Ingen kommentarer: