torsdag 26. januar 2017

What did the ancestors do?

NORSK
I have noticed that the Norwegian channel NRK is running a new season of "Who Do You Think You Are?" a series in which famous people are helped to "climb in their family tree". As an extension to yesterday's reflection, I will dwell on what Paul said about his family:
God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience
2 Tim 1:3
The statement that the ancestors worshiped God with a "clear conscience", is a recognition that they served God in accordance with the revelation they had. I reckon that their pure conscience rested on the fact that they were “faultless as for righteousness based on the law" (1) - the same testimony Paul gave himself for the time before he met Jesus Christ.

It is also likely that Paul valued their faith, and the fact that this blessing ran for generations and reached Paul himself. This is in accordance with God's promise in the Law of Moses:

Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
Deut 7:9 
It was important for Paul to convey the idea of ​​such a legacy to Timothy as he too could enjoy a similar blessing: "I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also." (2)

I am thankful to those of my ancestors who sowed blessing for future generations, and for my family I pray that this blessing is not going to stop with me, but will continue to flow from generation to generation. So that this promise can be fulfilled: “As for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord. “My Spirit, who is on you, will not depart from you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will always be on your lips, on the lips of your children and on the lips of their descendants—from this time on and forever,” says the Lord. (3)

‘Manna’ for today:

Let the blessing flow!
--------------------------------
(1) Phil 3:6
(2) 2 Timothy 1:5
(3) Isaiah 59:21

Ingen kommentarer: