tirsdag 22. november 2016

It is about virtue

NORSK
What kind of virtue did Peter have in mind for his “fruit-recipe”?

“add to your faith virtue”
2 Pet 1:5
The new King James version sticks close to the Greek, while NIV which often is my first choice, translates it ‘goodness’. 

I prefer virtue, but also in Norwegian, the newer translations have changed the word virtue with e.g. ‘a right life’.

I think Peter had the four classical or cardinal virtues in mind when he made his list. These are values that were cherished in his time and they have their origin in Greek philosophy: 

  • Temperance
  • Wisdom
  • Courage
  • Righteousness
All four could have made a single ingredient, but Peter collect the in the single word ‘virtue’. Down through the history of the church “faith, hope and love” were added to form the seven Christian virtues as a counterpart to the seven deadly sins. 

If I return to the Norwegian translation ‘a right life’, this can be the counterpart to a life in sin. May be that is close to what Peter had in mind? I start with faith, and continue by choosing to live a right life. To do that I need to choose which values I will build my life on. Then the four cardinal virtues in combination with the three values that remain (1) are a good choice. I make that choice, and then I am ready to continue tomorrow.

‘Manna’ for today:

It is about choosing the right values.
----------------------------
(1) 1 Cor 13:13

Ingen kommentarer: