onsdag 2. november 2016

It is about being tested

NORSK
I did an experiment yesterday when I posted a test as a reflection. Consciously there was almost nothing to reflect on. The only clue was the context in which the test was placed, and did not even give that hint!

I doubt that I would have taken the point myself if I had read another person’s blog. Without a solution, it is likely that I had felt frustration and even become irritated. I love to ‘crack codes’ or ‘solve mysteries’, and when I don’t make it, well, I simply don’t like it.

May be the irritation had gone to the person who had posted the stupid test that seemed totally meaningless, and that is the whole point. The context of the test is ‘holiness and the fruit of the Spirit’, and I had come to the fourth quality:

Forbearance (1)
The Greek word (2) has several synonyms and is used 14 times in the New Testament. Paul associates the quality with an attribute of God:
Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
Rom 2:4
Other times the synonym used in translation is patience, like in this verse where Paul and his team commend themselves as servants:
in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love;
2 Cor 6:6
This is yet another verse that gives an example of a list of the qualities of the fruit of the Holy Spirit. So the simple test was only: “How are you doing with forbearance and patience?” 

Perhaps it is helpful with a little “stress” (3) to ignite that reflection?

‘Manna’ for today:

Holiness is about the fruit growing when I am being tested 
----------------------------------
(1) The fruit of the Spirit is … forbearance – Gal 5:22
(2) makrothymia (μακροθυμία)
(3) It is about the fruit that gives inner tranquility

Ingen kommentarer: