mandag 7. november 2016

It is about being the Captain of your soul

NORSK
I have always expressed my admiration for Nelson Mandela and I regard him as one of my great role models (1). Even though I belong to those who really need to motivate themselves to watch a movie, I have seen “Invictus” several times, and I will watch it again. The title of the movie is taken from a poem by the same name. It is written by William Ernest Henley, and it helped Nelson Mandela to keep spirit and mind safe and sound when he was a prisoner on Robin Island. I am convinced that the key was that he kept control and made sure that he was the “Captain of his soul”.

The poem (2) is neutral with regard to religious orientation, but in a brilliant way it describes the last quality of the fruit of the Spirit as it is found on Paul’s list:

“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
Gal 5:22-23a
If I am not the ‘Captain of my soul’, I am not free to surrender the governance to the Holy Spirit. But – I have my free will, and I am every day free to decide that the Holy Spirit shall lead me through the day. Then the self-control becomes the fruit of my relationship with the Spirit, and not a result of my own effort. My only effort is to make the right choice, and I can testify with Paul that: I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day. (3)

John the Baptist is another person who was ‘Captain of his soul’ and who showed great self-insight and self-control:

“He must become greater; I must become less.”
John 3:30
‘Manna’ for today:
Holiness is about being the Captain of your soul
---------------------------------
(1) Reflections with reference to: Nelson Mandela  (NB in Norwegian only available i google translate)
(2) English version
(3) 2 Tim 1:12

Ingen kommentarer: