lørdag 17. september 2016

It is about a yoke

NORSK
The Bible uses an image that is likely to have passed the expiry date. I should therefore have chosen another image when I continue my reflections on the ‘other’ trinity, but the image of the yoke is so suitable. The verse is well known to Bible-readers:
“Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matt 11:29-30
I thought about this image when I yesterday wrote about sharing God’s pain. I envisaged two variants of the yoke:
  • The first is the tandem-yoke. It was e.g. used by a pair of oxen. It suits the idea of the sharing of a burden of alleviating a hurting world.
  • The second variant, the bucket-yoke, is also a beautiful image. In one bucket I carry a small piece of human suffering, while I in the other feel the burden of God’s presence. The burden of his presence levels out the burden of the suffering, and creates a balance that makes the total burden lighter. It was this thought that made such a strong impact on me one week ago in Athens: Again I saw how the burden of God’s presence, made it possible to go into a hurting world – because we will never go alone. This is the function of the ‘other’ trinity: The closer a disciple is drawn to the needs in the world, the closer he will be drawn to the heart of God. That is why this is the way of holiness where I "find rest for my soul".  
‘Manna’ for today:
His yoke is easy!
--------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: