mandag 25. april 2016

Spiritual arena

Is there a "sacred space" - rooms that are particularly suitable for spirituality and transmission of the matters concerning the kingdom of God?

If this had been a debate forum, this question could have initiated an interesting discussion. I have no doubt that it can be good psychology to have a room set aside for spiritual purposes. I can also testify that I have come into rooms in which I have sensed the presence of God - it can be a church, community hall - but often also a private home.


When I read the word of God, I am becoming more and more concerned to find that which does not appear to be important to the context, but when pondered upon, leaves me with the question: Why is it there? This verse is such an example:

On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.
Acts 1:4
Why does it not just say: "One time while they were together?"
 
I think there may be several reasons for it, and the theme "spiritual arenas" is one of them. What is more natural than eating together? It is the core of the miracle and mystery that God became man and that his Spirit was poured out on all people, meaning that he became a part of all our natural arenas. 



Painting: Joey Velasco
It is quite possible that the physical "sacred places" and the "sacred rituals" are important to the human psyche, but the danger is that I can be left with nothing if I think that they are more than plain expressions of religious life. It is not the arena that is the Life. Imagine if it was a completely ordinary meal Jesus was referring to when he said: "Do it in memory of me." At least he used the arena of an ordinary meal to share the important messages about the Holy Spirit – about the Life.

'Manna' for today:
I want my arenas to be "sacred rooms" for his presence
_____________________________
This reflection is part of 'Who acts throug Acts?' 

Ingen kommentarer: