torsdag 25. mai 2017

The last important lesson - a time for everything *

NORSK
Most Bible-readers know that Luke wrote both a gospel and the book of Acts (1). The gospel ends with Jesus being taken up into heaven, while the Apostles' acts begin with the same event. There is full harmony between the two versions as the road between Jerusalem and Bethany crossed the Mount of Olives. The version of the event in Luke is very short, but I love the brief account:
When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven.
Luke 24:50-51
The last memory the disciples have of Jesus is that he raised his hands blessed them, and then he was taken up into heaven while he blessed his disciples. I think even that in this last event there is an important lesson:
"You are never closer to heaven than when you bless one another!"
 

Obviously, the last memory of what Jesus did, was an important example. And down through history disciples have followed his example. We bless because Jesus did it and we know why: It is because God's blessing, God's good word over us, is the best gift we can give and receive. Perhaps Jesus used the words all Jews knew, but maybe he made them personal: “I bless you and keep you; I make my face shine on you and am gracious to you; I turn my face toward you and give you peace” (2).

‘Manna’ for today:

I will lift up my hands and bless people!
Today I wish you a blessed celebration of the Ascension Day!
------------------------------------
(1) Both books are written to a man by the name Theophilus. My theory is that he was one of Paul’s converts in Rome.
(2) Numbers 6:24-26
'A time for everything' is connected with the Bible's teaching about a 'season for every activity' Eccl 3 This series is about the teaching in the time between Easter and Pentecost 

Ingen kommentarer: