onsdag 29. mars 2017

Knowing what to ‘lose my life’ means - a step on the journey

NORSK
On the journey to Jerusalem Jesus is intensifying the teaching of the twelve disciples. He gives them glimpses of deep spiritual truth, but they fail to understand (1):
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.
Matt 16:25
For me this is one of the key-verses in the Bible with regard to finding rest in the mystery of what the life in Christ really is.

The Greek word translated 'life' in this verse, is the word 'psyche', which can also be translated 'soul' - and some translations choose the variant or introduce it in the next verse (2). I do not think Jesus primarily made reference to the 'physical life'. Therefore, I prefer 'soul', for the soul is the seat of my understanding, my emotions and my personality – including my will. I do not think I am much different from other people. I want to understand, I want to feel, I want to have control over who I am. It is a basic human need to want to save his life. 

According to Maslow's pyramid of needs (see illustration), safety is what I seek as soon as my physiological needs are covered. The feeling of having control makes me safe and belongs to our most basic needs. To hand over control to God, is really to lose my life, fortunately to be able to find it again as a new creation in Christ. When I handed over the control to God, this also included surrendering my claim to understand or feel everything that happens, and I entrusted to him the transformation of my personality and my will.

This is not 'one' step, but 'a' step, because it is a step I have to take every day until I reach his destination for my journey.

‘Manna’ for today:

I am so happy that I lost my 'life' and found a new life in Him
-------------------------------------
(1) The understanding was revealed to them by the Spirit after Pentecost
(2) Matt 16:26

Ingen kommentarer: