søndag 26. mars 2017

Knowing what selfdenial is - a step on the journey

NORSK
Six months ago the Norwegian author and politician Aslak Sira Myhre wrote an article with the headline: "Don't follow your dream" - the illustration is taken from the article. 

It is an important statement, not least because it comes from a person who does not confess to write from a Christian perspective. Here are a few samples:

“... It is very close to immorality to ask people to follow their dreams. Our dreams are too similar and too selfish ... If you talk to your kids about what to do with their lives, you should suggest that they choose to do something useful. Something that is good for others ... And tell them that they should be kind. It is undervalued. Kind people are good people ...”


From Aslak I go directly to Jesus:

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.”
Matt 16:24
“Self-denial” is part of Jesus’ call to his disciples. I was born into the Salvation Army where self-denial was part of my upbringing. I saw how my parents prioritized and how William Booth's exhortation and encouragement in the one word “Others” was not just a theory, but a lifestyle. I also know that Mom and Dad have had a rich life, and that is how I see and value my own life too. It is also possible to make such a lifestyle into a dream. Whether the call comes from Jesus, Aslak or William, I confess together with David:

‘Manna’ for today:

I delight to do your will, my God (1)
------------------
(1) Psalm 40:8a

Ingen kommentarer: