fredag 8. juli 2016

An environment for the Holy Spirit

NORSK
Is it possible for me to contribute to create an environment which opens for the Holy Spirit so that he can speak to us? I know that God is sovereign and can do whatever he wants. At the same time, the Bible is full of stories, particularly in Acts, indicating that it is possible. This verse confirms this:

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said
Acts 13:2a
Worship
Worship is important for many reasons, and in a brief reflection, I can only mention a few. Worship is all about fellowship, about community – “they were worshiping”. God is community, and the Holy Spirit is part of that community. God loves to gather his followers and he rejoices when we honour him and honour one another.

Fasting
I constantly need to remind myself about the meaning of fasting. Fasting sends a signal to God - and to the heavenly realms (1), that I take this seriously. If I pray for revival, it involves that I pray to have “children”. As a parent, I know that to have a baby is very demanding. Babies need care and attention that neglects my personal needs. 


In a broad perspective, fasting is to renounce something that I need. It is often linked to food, but when I am part of e.g. a 24/7 prayer-initiative with renouncing sleep in long vigils, it is definitely fasting. Babies have no considerations for my need to sleep, nor do the needs of others (2).

Fasting will in addition sharpen my spiritual sensitivity – it becomes easier to hear the Holy Spirit.

‘Manna’ for today:

Lord, help me to create an environment where the Holy Spirit can operate!
--------------------------------
(1) Eph 3:10
(2) Isa 58:6-7

Ingen kommentarer: