søndag 22. mai 2016

"She's a gift!"

NORSK
Just after Stein Reinertsen was appointed bishop in The Norwegian Church he was interviewed by the Christian National Newspaper “Vårt Land” (1). He described his wife with these words: "She is a gift", and he continued: "All that matters in life is a gift. It is not something we can achieve on our own. Everything is given me."

Very important words! And I can testify to it both with regard to my own wife, and to everything else that really matters. 

May be this is why Peter calls the Holy Spirit a gift?
“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
Acts 2:38
I do not think it was the spiritual gifts Peter was referring to, but the gift it is to have the Holy Spirit as a part of my life. It makes a difference to have the Holy Spirit as a companion in life – He really matters! A gift can not be earned and it is given for free. 

When I was baptized in The Holy Spirit in the autumn of 1972, I said to God: "If this is something you mean for The Salvation Army in our time you must give me an opportunity to testify at the Congress next summer!" I did not mention this conversation to anybody, but I was asked to give my testimony at the Congress. I told about the experience and said that it is a gift already given - "It is just to unwrap it!" - and I still think that is how it is. 

'Manna' for today:
I will keep the  gift of the Holy Spirit unwrapped! 
---------------------------

(1) 26th January 2013.

Ingen kommentarer: