torsdag 1. september 2016

It is about wind

NORSK
The first images of the Spirit are connected to the meaning of the word ‘spirit’. I have already reflected on spirit as in 'air' and 'breath'. Each of them add to the insight about the person of Holy Spirit and his functions. When I today reflect upon wind, I primarily connect this image with power.

The strong elements of the nature are in several mythologies related to the activities of the gods (1).

Even in the Jewish/Christian faith, such elements are occasionally interpreted as divine manifestations (2). At the same time I should not forget the important incident in the life of Elijah that testifies to the fact there is no rule that God is present in the strong elements of nature. When the Lord passed Elijah, he was neither in the powerful wind, the earthquake nor the fire, but in a gentle whisper (3).

Still – on the day of Pentecost, the first manifestation the 120 noticed, was the wind:

Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.
Acts 2:2
Several times during my life together with the Holy Spirit I have experienced his presence as a powerful wind that literally has blown me over. I do not understand why it happens, but accept that I am part of a mystery which by far exceeds the limited capacity of my thoughts. But, I believe that it was the power of the Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, and that this power is at work in us who believe (4), I should not be surprised that his power occasionally will manifest itself in a strong manner.
“The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
John 3:8
This is part of Jesus’ teaching about being born again. The one who is born by the Spirit, becomes like the Spirit. That means that through being led by the wind, he becomes like the wind. I have met believers who through what they say and do confirm this image. Humanly speaking, I have no idea as to where their “contribution” comes from, but because they are born by the Spirit and led by the Spirit, I get the ‘picture’. I also know that they will continue to do the ‘unpredictable’ – in other words: I do not know where they are going.

It is interesting that also the angels are linked to the wind:

Of the angels he says,
“Who makes his angels winds,
and his servants flames of fire.”

Hebr 1:7 RSV
‘Manna’ for today:
The life of holiness is living in, and as, the wind
------------------------------
(1) In Norse mythology, a phenomenon like lightening and thunder is associated with Thor and his hammer.  
(2) The manifestation of a god is called Theophany
(3) 1 Kings 19:11-12
(4) Eph 1:18-20

Ingen kommentarer: