tirsdag 30. august 2016

It is about images

NORSK
Yesterday I wrote that today’s blog would be about ‘breath’, but I postpone it one more day, because I need to say something about images. As a tool to come closer to an understanding of holiness, it can be helpful to look at some of the Biblical images of the Spirit. This will help me to take a step from what sometimes is conceived as abstract to a more concrete insight.

The Hebrew (ruach) and Greek (πνευμα - pneuma) used for the Spirit can also be translated with e.g. breath, wind and air. Even though I cannot “see” breath, wind and air, they are very real and concrete. I cannot live without them, because I need air to breath and the air needs wind to be in movement. Everything that belongs to the Spirit is in a constant movement. So is the life of holiness (1).

The image of a “spirit” can be confusing even for some Christians. For some it is even more difficult if we use the word “ghost”. It is easier to relate to the physical realities. A “ghost” does not have a body – the disciples knew that, and were scared when they saw the resurrected Christ – he responded by referring to his body, asked them to touch it and ate some fish to convince them (2).

I know from experience that it is possible to have a personal relationship with the Spirit of God, but to have such a relationship I must continuously learn more about Him to know Him better. I do that by being together with the Spirit in the way Paul describes:

'In him we live and move and have our being.'
Acts 17:28
The best way to make the Spirit more concrete for people in the world is to live with the Spirit like Jesus lived with him. 

‘Manna’ for today:

The Spirit is just as real as breath, wind and air.
--------------------------------------
(1) See: John 3:8
(2) See: Luke 24:36-43

Ingen kommentarer: