fredag 21. april 2017

Think afresh? A time for everything*

NORSK
Today, I move to the story of Thomas. A few years ago, I took the role as defence attorney for Thomas for the simple reason that I think he may have been a victim of a ‘spiritual miscarriage of justice’. In my 'procedure' I wrote:
Let us for some moment try to put ourselves into the minds of my client: “If my Master has risen from the dead, why are James and John afraid - why are we still behind closed doors in fear of what the Jews may do to us? If Jesus truly lives, it means that he has even defeated death - what then is there to be afraid of? If my friends really believed it, they should not only tell me, but run out of the streets of Jerusalem and tell the good news.” (2)
When we judge Thomas as a ‘doubter’, we have forgotten that the behaviour of the disciples was not consistent with their recognition of the risen Jesus. Thomas’ claim for proof was therefore absolutely valid.

“Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
John 20:25
I will reflect more on the teaching in the incident with Thomas tomorrow, but I think that the disciples also learned that for a testimony about a living Jesus to be credible, our lives must show that it is true. If not, it is impossible to recognise Jesus.

‘Manna’ for today:

My life must show that Jesus lives
-----------------------------
(1) It is part of the family genes to defend both believers and doubters
(2) See ‘A spiritual miscarriage of justice’ – unfortunately only available in google translate
* 'A time for everything' is connected with the Bible's teaching about a 'season for every activity'
 Eccl 3 This series is about the teaching in the time between Easter and Pentecost.
 

Ingen kommentarer: