tirsdag 11. april 2017

Knowing what 490 means – a step on the journey

Forgiveness is a difficult, but very important topic. In light of what was going to take place in Jerusalem, I am convinced that it was essential for Jesus to teach the disciples about forgiveness before all the evil happened. Again, it was Peter who gave him a golden opportunity to do so by asking the question: “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
“I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.”
Matthew 18:21-22
Actually, Jesus could have raised the number to 8 and laid it down so that it became the sign for 'infinite'. With regard to forgiveness, 490 are infinitely many times. If I manage to forgive many times forgiveness becomes a natural reaction, because I will soon enjoy the benefits.

When I've talked with people who are struggling with being able to forgive, the argument is often that the offender does not deserve to receive forgiveness. But it is primarily the one who forgives who deserves to be set free from the negative effects of hate and the destructive thoughts of revenge. I have experienced so much forgiveness in my life that I want others to experience the same. Forgiveness is a central part of the Lord's Prayer, and generosity is as previously mentioned, a strong part of the DNA of God.

It was important for the disciples to learn this before Easter so that they should not fall in the temptation to seek revenge for that which was going to happen to Jesus.

‘Manna’ for today:

I will forgive so that I can be free. 
---------------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: