onsdag 1. juni 2016

What was the motivation?

NORSK
When the Council demanded of Peter and John that they should not preach or teach in Jesus' name, Peter replied:
‘Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.’
Acts 4:19-20
It is interesting that Peter uses obedience to God as an argument. I have no doubt that obedience is a part of the picture, but in front of the Council, it would be hard to argue with what I assume was the main driving force. But obedience to Yahweh was a language The Council understood - at least there was one who understood - Gamaliel If Peter had been asked to testify to the motivation in addition to obedience, he would probably quoted Jeremiah's experience:
But if I say, ‘I will not mention his word
or speak any more in his name,’
his word is in my heart like a fire,
a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
indeed, I cannot.

Jer 20:9
In Old Testament times, the Spirit was only for a select few - but the Spirit burned even in them! I am convinced that this was also Peter's main motivation.

'Manna' for today:
I cannot help speaking about what I have seen and heard
- it is because of fire and obedience

Ingen kommentarer: