søndag 5. juni 2016

A holistic prayer-life - for a holistic ministry

NORSK
When I over the past days have 'taken part' in the prayer-meeting in Jerusalem at same time as I have been in a great number of prayer-meetings all over the territory, I have been reminded of the combination of praying in mind and spirit.

In Jerusalam the tense situation had triggered the prayers. But the disciples did not solely pray with their minds into the situation, they were also present in their spirits and their spirits communicated with the Spirit.

In his teaching on the spiritual gifts, Paul writes:

So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.
1 Cor 14:15 
I am convinced that this is important. I believe that God hears all prayers whether they are prayed by mind or spirit; but there is something about the full commitment as expressed in God's word that I must never forget:
For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
2 Chron 16:9a
And when a teacher of the law asked which of the commandments was the most important, Jesus answered:
'The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'
Mark 12:29b-30
The reference to the “oneness” of God is interesting. As He relates to me as “one”, my response to him should also be as “one” with a unity of heart, soul, mind and physical strength. When I am in the presence of the great “I am” – I need to be there with “all that ‘I am’”.

Last week we were able to go with The General to Romania, Moldova, Ukraine and Georgia. In all the countries we sang William Himes’ beautiful song, which in a great way expresses the holistic commitment to a holistic ministry, included a holistic prayer-life. I also use the chorus as

‘Manna’ for today:

All that I am, all I can be,
all that I have, all that is me,
accept and use, Lord,
as you would choose, Lord,
right now, today.
Take every passion, every skill,
take all my dreams and bend them to your will.
My all I give, Lord,
for you I’ll live, Lord,
come what may.
--------------------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: