mandag 2. mai 2016

One, two, 12 or 120?

NORSK
Some days ago I wrote about the good habit of coming together where we usually meet. The Bible study has now taken us to the day of Pentecost, the place where the 120 was gathered has become more anonymous:
"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place."
Acts 2:1
The important thing is not any longer where to gather with regard to a geographical place, but to be in one place. The Holy Spirit does not want to be linked to a specific sacred place (1). Further it is not important whether the number is one, two, 12, or 120. The important question is:  
Am I where I am? Am I here right now?
Fifteen years ago I had several conversations with the philosopher Per Ingvar Haukeland about being present in your own life. The idea is important both in terms of overall quality of life in relation to other people, and not least in relation with the Holy Spirit.
 

I can get very annoyed with myself when I realize that I am "somewhere else" than where I am. It can also be a bit frustrating when I lead a conversation with a person and discover that he is not present in the conversation. If I want to get more out of my relationship with God, more out of my communion with the Holy Spirit, it is a crucial prerequisite that I am present with him where I am.

I grew up in the Army when the meeting-leaders announced: "Let us gather in prayer!" when we should pray in the meetings. It was not a call to assemble as physical move to one place, but a call to come together in "one place" spiritually.

In my personal prayer-life I often open as follows: "Lord, here I am!". It is an important affirmation - primarily for myself. I will be present for the meeting with him.

I have no doubt that the 120 were present in one place. The place was certainly where they used to, but the important thing now, was that "everyone" was present physically, mentally and spiritually. That is why the Holy Spirit had a fair chance to break through.


'Manna' for today:
I want to be present where I am
-------------------------------
(1) Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. John 4:23
This reflection is part of 'Who acts throug Acts?'

Ingen kommentarer: