onsdag 26. oktober 2016

It is about glory

NORSK
It is many years since I first heard Heidi Baker preach. Her testimony made a strong impact, but it was her longing for “fresh fruit” to bring to the Father that I could identify with on the depth of my own longing. I often feel that the only fruit I have to bring is a dry raisin, while he deserves honour and glory through me bringing him abundance of fresh fruit – or grapes, which are the fruit in Jesus’ speech about the vine:
This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
John 15:8
When Isaiah prophesied about the outpouring of the Spirit, he saw this vision:
And the wilderness becomes a fruitful field,
And the fruitful field is counted as a forest.

Isa 32:15b
This is the ideal picture of a life in the Spirit, abundance of fruit to the glory of the Creator – because he rejoices when he sees abundance of all goodness. But the fruit is also pleasing to the people around us, and here is the apparent link to discipleship.

I really like that Jesus uses the verb “to be” my disciples. It shows that discipleship is an ongoing process, as is the fruit bearing and the life of holiness. It is a lifelong process. 


Unfortunately, lack of fruit can lead to “religious ingenuity” – which means that I try to create something that resembles fruit. It can be a nice piece of art. In the world of art we have the term “Still life”, which very often is a painting of a bowl of fruit. But even if this can be very beautiful, a painting or a picture can never substitute real life. Fruit bearing and discipleship are about life that springs from unity with the Holy Spirit. Everything else becomes religion.

‘Manna’ for today:

Holiness is about glorifying the Father by producing fruit
-------------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: