lørdag 7. mai 2016

Speaking in tongues

If the idea that “tongues of fire” represent a “language”, which gives the Christians a common identity, is correct; it can create problems if this immediately leads the thought to "speaking in tongues".

I know of people who speak in tongues who have very little insight into the life of the Spirit  and what a "spiritual language" really is. On the other hand I know of people who have a spiritual insight and a sensitivity to the leading of the Spirit that makes them role models for me - but they do not speak in tongues. That's why I a couple of days ago wrote above: "This 'tongue', this language of the Spirit, is about much more than 'speaking in tongues'!"

When 'tongues' came on the Day of Pentecost, it was made possible for my spirit to communicate with the Holy Spirit. This can happen without a word, words in a language I know or through a prayer-language that I do not understand. Some Christians, who are not using a prayer-language, often think that they who do are particularly spiritual. I have been present in contexts where prayer-language is used as a form or a ritual. There is just as little evidence of the Spirit's presence in such a context as in a painted image of "tongues of fire" on the wall.

Do I attack tongues?

Far from it! 

I use my prayer-language often, but the language is not an end in itself. If it becomes an end, I can "drown" the Holy Spirit with words and make me 
unavailable for what he wants to say to me. It is the Holy Spirit that must provide the framework. When the sensitivity is in place - as it was in the band of disciples who had been preparing their hearts for ten days, it will be important for the kingdom of God:
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
Acts 2:4
First of all, the foreign audience understood what was said in their native language. Then the Spirit spoke through Peter to their hearts in Aramaic. Such combinations make a revival!

'Manna' for today:
I want to improve my spiritual language on the Spirit's conditions!
-----------------------------------
This reflection is part of 'Who acts throug Acts?'

Ingen kommentarer: