torsdag 5. mai 2016

Identity and Language

NORSK(1)
There is a very strong link between language and identity. It is not difficult to find examples of major conflicts that arise "only" because of the language. A lot of the conflicts we see around the world are caused by issues conected to language and identity. Again we live in the middle of it. 
When the Holy Spirit comes as a "tongue" and also manifests itself in audible languages, I think first and foremost that it is God's intention that his people should have a common identity: 
A "tongue" that unites. 

This "tongue", this language of the Spirit, is much more than "speaking in tongues", but I will return to that subject later. The tongue gives us a common understanding of how to express the mystery that God became man to suffer on our behalf and grant us eternal life. Such a message can only be communicated through the Spirit in a spirit of  love. 

In relation to my Father, I have my identity in Christ. In my relationship with my brothers in the Lord, my identity is in our common language - the Holy Spirit:

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
Rooms 8:16
The language (tongue) of the Spirit, gives me identity as a Christian. I speak several language, and the interesting thing is that it is only in the beginning that I translate from Norwegian into the language I try to learn. It is a strange feeling when you suddenly one realize: "I have just had a conversation, and I did not think about the fact that it was not my mother-tongue!". The language has become the way I react to what goes on around me. 

That is what the Spirit's tongue of identity is all about: His reaction to what goes on around me, through me!
  
'Manna' for today:
The language of the Spirit is His reaction to the world through me.
-----------------------------
Se også: Hvilket språk tenker du på
This reflection is part of 'Who acts throug Acts?'

Ingen kommentarer: